The following map of the entire course is interactive and is linked to ridewithgps.com. When viewing the interactive map, you can highlight a section of the course to view a more detailed elevation chart of that section. To view a more detailed section:
- Move your cursor along the x-axis (mileage) of the elevation graph. Mileage, elevation, and % grade will be displayed.
- Click and hold a beginning point on the elevation graph. Drag your cursor and highlight the segment/distance that you wish to view in greater detail. When you release your mouse, the highlighted segment will be displayed.
- To return to the full graph, single click the “de-select” button.
Top of The South Course Notes:
1. Course is 100% paved.
2. Start Line is at Roan Mountain State Park picnic shelter #1.
3. Finish Line is at the Rhododendron Gardens of Roan Mountain.
4. Course will follow the right side of Route 143 from Roan Mountain to Carver’s Gap. The roadway will be open to downhill vehicular traffic, but the uphill traffic lane will be controlled by front and rear emergency vehicles.
5. At Carver’s Gap (mile 8.9), runners will enter National Forest Service property. This road will be open for emergency vehicles, event staff and permitted spectator vehicles. See Policies and Rules for additional information.
6. Spectators are not allowed on the course.
For up-to-date weather information, please visit